COLLECTION / 1900-1945 / Europa and Unites States of America / Bauhaus

More than 50 works of art and documents.

In 1919 Walter Gropius founded the Staatliche Bauhaus, a school of art, design and architecture, located in Weimar (Germany) and created from the merging of the College of Arts with the School of Arts and Crafts. The National Socialist regime shut down the school in July 1933.

The Bauhaus approach was based on the need to shake up art teaching in order to transform bourgeoisie society. Bauhaus went through different stages (idealist, Romantic, rationalist, analytical, etc.) and enjoyed greater impetus and recognition coinciding with its relocation from Weimar (1919–1925) to Dessau (1925–1932).

In 1932, under the direction of the architect Mies van der Rohe, the school was moved to Berlin, which marked a turning point in its teaching programme. Soon after, the basic principles of Bauhaus began to flourish throughout the Western world at the same time as some of the school’s professors and students went into exile in light of Hitler’s rise to power.

Archivo Lafuente primarily documents this trajectory by means of publications edited by the school (books, magazines, etc.) and a collection of printed documents created to promote different activities. These works were made by, among others, Gerbert Bayer, Franz Ehrlich, Lionel Feininger, Walter Gropius, Bodo Rasch, Oskar Schlemmer and Lothar Schreyer.



HEADQUARTERS

MADRID

© 2022 Archivo Lafuente. Some rights reserved - Legal notice - Reproduction rights