As from its foundation in 1919, the Staatliches Bauhaus in Dessau got down to work to redraft the graphic approaches of Constructivist tradition. The Bauhaus School, established by Walter Gropius, boasted numerous figures from avant-garde movements among its members, including Paul Klee, Wassily Kandinsky, Lyonel Feininger, Herbert Bayer, Josef Albers, Theo van Doesburg and László Moholy-Nagy. In the field of typography, as in many others, the Bauhaus would be the most influential of spaces for reflection and production in the definitive step towards modernity. This experiment in avant-garde radicalism that was the Bauhaus was sadly brief: the onset of Nazism led to the school’s closure in July 1933. At the same time, throughout Germany, Austria, the Netherlands and France measures were being put in place to repress artistic and literary activity. Bauhaus teachers and students were forced to seek exile or simply flee; but from then on however the school’s principles began to spread all over the Western world.
The Lafuente Archive possesses abundant documentation of the school’s development through a complete collection of its publications and a selection of the profuse printed documentation produced to promote its activities.